Friday, June 5, 2009

Operation Get-A-Life

It has recently come to my attention that I have no life. Okay. Maybe not so recently. I've had no life for a long time. Not that I don't like sitting at home, cleaning and Facebooking and waiting for job callbacks... Okay. So I don't like it. I don't like it at all. It's really hard to get out of the house for a few years, have your life and your freedom and then come back and try to pretend everything is as it was, when it just isn't. Pretty much this whole past semester, I've been thinking about direction, and about the fact that in reality, I pretty much don't have any. I don't know what degree I want to get, or what I'd want to do with that degree if I did get it. Something that might be good to know halfway through college.

Okay, so here's the first bomb-to-be-dropped, for those of you who don't already know. I will not be returning to SUU next semester. While it may come as a surprise to some of you, it did not particularly come as a surprise to me, as I rather bombed the last semester. Five weeks late for starting classes, go figure. So to reiterate what I said before, I have no life. At least, it's not my own life. I'm far too dependent on my parents and on friends, which limits my options as far as direction goes.

So. I'm taking the first steps to autonomy. I spoke with an Air Force recruiter today about joining the service. This isn't a fly-by-the-way idea, either. It's been knocking around in my skull for quite some time. And now more than ever, it seems like an excellent idea. Furthermore, my mind is made up. If the Air Force will take me, I will sign the papers and join. The major worries were medical until I spoke with the recruiter today. The only medical problems that can be proved, I can get the doctor's release to say that yes, it happened, but it is no longer a problem. Now the only worry is a credit check. They don't like bad credit, and I have medical bills up the wazoo that are overdue because I have no money and no job. Some of that they can waive, as it doesn't look like they're going to have to waive much else. Especially if I get as good a score on my ASVAB as I did last time.

Furthermore, if my credit denies me entrance to the Air Force, I've been assured that the Navy doesn't do that same check, and nothing would keep me out of the Navy. So one way or the other, I'm not going to stop until I get in.

Anyway. Operation Get-A-Life is rolling. And now I've got to go help Laura make cookies.

Muchlove,
Anna Grace

No comments: